Top 5: Reasons The Haunted Masion is the Best
Ok, Angie here, once again hijacking Josh’s Top 5 article. There’s a reason though – Haunted Mansion is the most amazing thing ever. Seriously it’s the best. “Angie, I think you meant to say ‘it’s the best attraction’.” Nope, it’s simply the best. Period. And it needs to be said.
Of course, this is a matter of opinion, but let me enlighten you as to WHY it’s the best, so you can see if you agree with me or not. And if you don’t, at least lie to me and tell me how you love it so… otherwise you’ll break my heart!
So, here it is – my Top 5 reasons I think the Haunted Mansion is the BEST:
5. It’s a classic – The Haunted Mansion (and its counterparts around the world; Haunted Mansion in Disneyland and Walt Disney World, Phantom Manor, and Mystic Manor) is a dark ride, which basically means you are riding through a slow moving story inside of a building where they can illuminate main story-telling objects, while hiding the parts they don’t want you to see in the dark. It’s also one of the few dark rides that isn’t based on a movie (and one of few that actually inspired movies, like Pirates of the Caribbean!) The dark ride, story telling model, as well as the Omni-mover track system is a Disney signature, which makes riding it feel as special as anything else with the Disney brand on it is. Because of this layout, the Haunted Mansion is undoubtedly immersive – you are completely involved in this “world” when you are riding through! It’s also friendly for all ages! Seriously, even though children may be reluctant to ride at first, it’s actually more humorous than scary, though there are definitely some scares along the way. There’s a reason the ghosts in this attraction are described as “happy haunts,” after all. The optical illusions will leave you in awe, and being able to sit down for a while is actually a nice break from wandering the rest of the park!
4. It has a cornucopia of themes – Obviously there’s a touch of “scary” in this attraction, I mean it is a haunted house, after all! But it’s also funny, like I mentioned above. Singing busts and silly looking ghosts keep the ride through a little more lighthearted. Also, if magic-tricks interest you, you’ll be on the edge of your seat trying to figure out how some of the gags work. (Most of which will make you want to ride again and again to make sure you didn’t miss anything, or in hopes that you will figure out how they did it all!)
3. It is well executed – You actually feel like you are literally riding through a house because of the way everything is presented. You can really get this sense in the attic room, hallways, and ballroom scene, especially. It’s as if you were actually a guest invited to this ghost retirement home, and you are no undoubtedly on a tour of the house! I know this might seem like an obvious thing, but it’s unlike most other attractions in the sense that the space you are viewing from your Doom Buggy is enormous during some scenes, appropriate to which room you are riding through. For example it is unlike The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh in the sense that in your “Hunny” Pot you are riding through self contained rooms that aren’t supposed to represent actual rooms, they are simply spaces to place the props and animatronics appropriate for the ride. But, with the Haunted Mansion, it is a different experience because you are riding through rooms that serve that very purpose – to be rooms. So, this makes the magnificence of the large ballroom or long corridors necessary to the story (much like the enormous “room” you ride through in the Pirates of the Caribbean ride that represents being on the sea at night next to a huge pirate ship). It makes this ride truly an awe-inspiring spectacle!
2. The back-story – Every Disney attraction has it’s own back-story, even if it isn’t completely told through what you see in the attraction’s details, but the story always explains all the “whys” of what you are seeing throughout the rides. For Christmas, Josh got me this wonderful book about the creation of the Haunted Mansion, called The Haunted Mansion: From the Magic Kingdom to the Movies. It’s so interesting, and has so much about the process of how the Haunted Mansion came to be exactly what it is today. For example, it wasn’t originally going to be a Omni-mover track attraction where you sit in a Doom Buggy ride vehicle that takes you through the attraction. In fact, originally guests were going to walk through the attraction! (But, I will save more of that back story for another article) There were also lots of rumors surrounding the attraction going around between park guests when it didn’t open for its originally scheduled time, and old rumors are always fun! Each of the different Disney parks that house their own Haunted Mansion (even those with different names) have their own individual origin stories, and each one is just as creepy and interesting as the last.
1. It’s unusual – Creepy, strange, weird, eerie – all adjectives you usually wouldn’t think of when describing something “Disney.” Well, Haunted Mansion fits those categories, and this makes it unique. Because of this it is very “Disney” and very “un-Disney” at the same time. It is very “Disney” because of it’s attention to detail, story, and immersive nature, but it is also very “un-Disney” because it isn’t all princesses and fantasy and fluffy and cute like you might normally associate with Disney. Don’t get me wrong, I love the fantasy world Disney so often brings you into, but this attraction adds the perfect dash of something-different to the parks. Plus, I just love creepy, strange, weird, and eerie things in general!
What are your reasons for loving the Haunted Mansion so much? Which of the 2 Haunted Mansions/Mystic Manor/Phantom Manor is your favorite and why? Leave your answers in the comments below!
Posted on February 28, 2014, in Articles and tagged Angie Carreiro, Classic, creep, creepy, dark ride, Disney, Disney World, Disneyland, dl, eerie, experience, friendly, Funny, Ghosts, happy haunts, illusions, immersive, Josh Taylor, Magic Kingdom, MK, Mystic Manor, phantom manor, Rumors, scary, strange, the haunted mansion, Top 5, unusual, Walt Disney, waly disney world, WDW, Weird. Bookmark the permalink. 1 Comment.